Saltine Cracker (Heath) Bark
This isn't a new recipe by any means, and many of you have probably had these before - they are the BEST way to eat a saltine cracker any day, in my opinion! It's a super easy recipe that I think Everyone should know! =)
1.5 packages (sleeves) of saltine crackers
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
12 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips
Chopped nuts (optional, but if you use nuts, I recommend salted peanuts
Like I said, this is a pretty easy recipe, and really doesn't require pictures, I was just in the mood, so here are some pictures to go with the steps:
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cover a baking sheet with foil and grease it. Arrange the crackers in rows on the foil. The crackers don't fit the pan exactly, so there is usually room left on two sides - I roll up the foil to the edge of the crackers to keep the coating in later.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and sugar on medium heat. When it comes to a boil (don't stir it), let it boil for 2 minutes. It will look like this:
3. Immediately pour the boiling mixture over the crackers, spreading it around with a spatula. You need to work fairly quickly as it will start to thicken up as it cools.
4. Put the tray in the oven for about 2.5 minutes (the mixture will be bubbly and the crackers will be lightly browned).
5. As soon as you take them out, sprinkle the chocolate chips all over the hot crackers.
6. Put the tray back in the oven (that is Turned Off) to melt the chocolate for about one minute (just until the chocolate chips are shiny).
7. Spread the melted chocolate chips evenly over the crackers.
8. Place in the fridge to cool. Break into pieces and serve.