Sunday, May 24, 2015

One Pot Chicken and Rice Chili

I was looking on Pinterest for something new and easy to make for dinner and came across this recipe, which I adapted (based on what I had on hand) to make the dish you see. We were all very pleased with how it turned out! My recipe is below:

(I am not impressed with what Blogger is doing with the color of my photos)

One Pot Chicken Rice Chili

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 12 oz can of chunk chicken (or the same amount of your own cooked chicken, beef or sausage)
5 cups of chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
3/4 c of red kidney beans
3/4 c. of garbanzo beans (or any white bean)
1/5 cups of kale, torn into small pieces
1 tsp of chili powder
1 tsp of cumin
salt and pepper to taste
10 oz of brown rice (I used parboiled)
3/4 cup of shredded cheese

Instructions:

Heat oil in large skillet or pot.  Add onions and cook until soft, about five minutes.   Add chicken.

Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, kale and spices.  Bring to a simmer.  Stir in rice.    Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked through.

Remove from heat.  Top with cheese and cover until melted, about 2 minutes.

Serve with sour cream, avocado or salsa if you wish.



No comments: